How to Apply

Obtaining a patient card in Arizona is a structured process, beginning with a written prescription for marijuana from a licensed physician (in Arizona) that will be used to treat one of the following conditions:

  • Hepatitis C
  • Cachexia
  • Cancer
  • Chronic pain
  • Glaucoma
  • Multiple sclerosis
  • Seizures
  • Epilepsy
  • Severe nausea
  • ALS
  • Crohn’s Disease
  • Alzheimer’s Disease

Following this step, a potential patient must fill out and send in an application-get application here– from Arizona’s Department of Health services.  An applicant must also submit their contact information, a copy of their AZ driver’s license (or other form of ID), proof of U.S. citizenship, a photograph of themselves and the statement from the physician recommending marijuana.  Lastly, the patient will be asked to send in a signed document stating they will not share or sell the marijuana to anyone else.

In order to be granted permission to cultivate, a person must check the specified box on the application and cannot live within 25 miles of a dispensary.

Finally, there is a non-refundable fee of $150 per application.  If a patient is a member of the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, the fee is discounted to $75 per application.

For caregivers, there are additional steps involved.  A caregiver is a designated person who is allowed to pick up and possess marijuana on behalf of the patient.  In addition to the regular application necessities, a potential caregiver must also submit a set of fingerprints and must undergo a background check.  Convicted felons are not eligible to be caregivers.  Each marijuana patient may have only one caregiver.  The fee for caregivers is raised to $200 per application.

The abovementioned steps must be submitted entirely online through the Arizona Department of Health Services website.  Once submitted, an applicant will be accepted or denied within 10 business days.  If accepted, patient and caregiver cards are valid for one year and can be renewed for the full cost of the application each additional year.